The Silver Comet Trail is located 13 miles
northwest of Atlanta, Georgia. It's free
of charge, and travels west through Cobb,
Paulding, and Polk counties. This quiet,
non-motorized, paved trail is for walkers, hikers,
bicyclists, rollerbladers, horses, dog walkers,
and is wheelchair accessible.
The Silver Comet Trail is 61.5 miles long,
and starts at the Mavell Road Trailhead in Smyrna, Georgia.
It ends at the Georgia/Alabama state line,
near Cedartown and The Esom Hill Trailhead.
At the Georgia/Alabama state line, the
Silver Comet connects to the 33-mile long
Ladiga Trail. Plans are underway to
extend the Chief Ladiga an additional 7
miles. Both the Silver Comet Trail and Chief Ladiga
are fully paved rail-trails built on abandoned
railroad lines. The combined
Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga trail length
is estimated to be 94.5 paved miles
from Smyrna, Georgia to Anniston, Alabama.
Please remember to bring plenty to drink for you and your pet. Water fountains along the trail may not be working.
- New Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga video - Check out the fun video page
- New restaurant in Rockmart, The Bricks on South Marble, welcomes Silver Comet visitors
- Rockmart Farmers Market next to Silver Comet/Euharlee Creek - please see their site for hours
- Silver Comet Map - interactive map for this site, lists trailhead directions and facts
- Path Foundation - non-profit, creating trail system in Atlanta area, and Silver Comet
- Path Foundation on Facebook - Good information
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - US trail database, including rail-trails
Trail Closings in Cobb County
Beginning in January 2014, Cobb County will start remodeling their section of trail including restoring 6 pedestrian bridges, repaving the trail, and improving the surrounding areas. Sections of the Silver Comet will be closed during heavy construction, and no detours are planned. Construction will continue through the 2014 spring months.
Once completed, the Cobb section of the Silver Comet will look brand new, while still preserving its historical features. Cobb will provide a construction schedule, once construction starts.
Construction Notice PDF - important info
Cobb Silver Comet Page - Construction details and contact information